Monday, February 16, 2009

How much fun can you have in Raymour and Flannigan?

Today is my mom's birthday but we celebrated it yesterday. For her birthday, we took her couch shopping. I know you're thinking that couch shopping is uneventful and boring but our story goes like this:

Before entering the building we had a prep talk where my dad was warned us that the sales people are vultures. Before we walked into the store we already noticed that some of them were already watching us.
When we entered one guy was heading over to us and my family split into two. Sarah, my mom and I went one way and my dad, Amie, and Matt went the other. The sales guy 1 was very confused and did not know which path to take. My dad overheard him talking to sales guy 2 about whether or not we were all together.
We reconvened and discussed a plan: if any sales people were to approach we were suppose to split. The plan was a very good and well devised plan but only works if all participants follow accordingly. Who will be the one to break?
There was this table, with chairs that looked so elegant that we couldn't resist. My dad, Sarah, Matt and I decided to take a well deserved break. Once we sat down, sales guy 1 briskly walked towards us, I, noticing this, booked it and warned the others. My dad was too slow. He was caught! When sales guy 1 asked if he could help him my dad broke and responded. Nervous as he was, he decided to pawn the guy off on someone else, my mom.
Sales guy 1 was determined. Little did he know that we were the type of family that likes to laugh....
What my mom was looking for was very specific. She wanted a brown couch, firm, with attached cushions, no leather, and comfortable. This guy had his hands full. We passed this one couch which obviously looked like a putrid green but the guy insisted that it was brown but in the lighting it looked green. He even went so far as to offer to take the cushion outside to show us in the sunlight. So, when we passed a couch that was actually obviously brown I said, "Amie, that couch looks brown but it is actually pink. No seriously! It is actually pink. I can take a cushion outside and show you!" What we didn't understand was that even if it was brown, why would we want a couch that looks green indoors?
We looked at many many many different couches and sales guy 1 would not stop, he was persistent. He got so desperate that when the manager was talking to us in general, sales guy 1 took the cushion outside in the sunlight and showed us through the window when I responded by telling the manager that one of his employees is trying to steal a cushion.
So many laughs! So many jokes! That was the best furniture shopping anyone has ever had and it was my mom's favorite birthday :) I will never forget that day.

No comments: